In your second trimester, it's important to get adequate amounts of calcium to support your growing baby's skeletal development, nervous and circulatory systems. In addition to adding supplements, you may also want to consider adding calcium-rich foods to your diet at this time, such as dairy like milk, cheese and yogurt, or chia seeds, almonds or soy.
To help with your meal prep, we tapped holistic nutritionist and health coach, Kelly LeVeque of Be Well by Kelly, to share a calcium-rich recipe you can easily add to your grocery list.
The Recipe: Coconutty Cereal
- 1 c. Raw Walnuts
- 1 c. Raw Pecans
- 1 c. Raw Almonds
- 1 c. Raw Cashews
- 1 c. coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Pink Salt
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
- Put all four cups of nuts in the food processor and pulse to create small chunks. (or place all four cups in a freezer baggy and use a mallet to pound nuts to your desired chunk size)
- In a large bowl mix coconut oil, honey, coconut flakes and nut chunks.
- Transfer mix to a baking tray.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let mixture cool and store in an air tight container.
- Serve with milk or Greek yogurt for breakfast or a snack. For a dairy-free alternative serve with almond milk.
Did you try this recipe? Tell us what you thought by joining the Perelel community on social or by subscribing to our newsletter.
This article is for informational purposes only. It is not, nor is it intended to be, a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and we recommend that you always consult with your healthcare provider. To the extent that this article features the advice of physicians or medical practitioners, the views expressed are the views of the cited expert and do not necessarily represent the views of Perelel.